Car Fanatics Blog

Welcome to the Official Blog of Car Fanatics.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Who wants an AWD luxury SUV 4-door sports coupe? Urrm... me!




People are always afraid of the new. The out-of-the-ordinary. It has been the way since the beginning of humanity.

Throughout history, people have been trying to stick with what they know, but it shouldn't be that way. If we stick with ONLY what we are used to, then humanity will not, CAN NOT progress.


The bronze age, for example, was followed by the iron age. But I can guarantee that this change in prefered material did not occur without some resistence from "fans" of the material that reigned before it. But it took one person to begin using iron, for the rest to follow, and end up making bronze look very out-dated.

And then there's the first people to try to explain that the world is round, and not, in fact, flat. Well, it took a lot of convincing, but it payed off in the end. You'd be hard-pressed to find a single flat-earther in modern society.


And so we have the AWD luxury SUV 4-door sports coupe. In other words, one of those BMW X6/Acura ZDX kind of cars. When the BMW X6 Concept made its debut at Frankfurt 2007, it shocked people. They were astonished - in fact, they are still sweeping up bits of jaw from Frankfurt's show-floor.

There's the cynics that critiqued, "it's an SUV with less cargo capacity". Well - I won't argue with that - it is! But then there's the the people who saw sense. (Me, in other words.) They saw it for what it was, a glimpse into the future.

And we were right. The X6, in production form, has become a success and the formula has already been taken and used on Acura's ZDX. And it won't be the last we'll see of the AWDLSUV4DSC (for, urrm... short). No, I expect that various automakers are already working on their own AWDLSUV4DSCs. I predict that in the future, we will see a divide between normal SUVs and AWDLSUV4DSCs similar to how sedans and hatchbacks are. Hatchbacks have taken such a large chunk of sales figures (most notably in Europe and Asia, but also in other regions) that they are now perseved as "normal". And so will be the case with AWDLSUV4DSCs in a few years. Mark my words.

2 comments:

  1. I don't mind the fact that such cars exist, because every product has it's own buyer, but I would probably never buy such a car, since IMO it is useless. I mean you can't have a REAL SUV and a REAL sports car in one body, so basically when you're buying the X6/ZDX you get neither, because it's too tall and big to be a sports car and it's too much like a car when it comes to off-roading. So if I had the money I would rather buy two cars... a Corvette car and a Land Rover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I like that Bat-mobile, not exactly what I'd drive, but If I was given one, I'd be happy none-the-less :P

    ReplyDelete