Car Fanatics Blog

Welcome to the Official Blog of Car Fanatics.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Car Spotter's Guide


I have this game called car-spotting. It's simple enough, there's people who like to find unique trains & lorries, I like to find unique cars.

But it's not just Ferraris and Lamborghinis, and else Italian exotica. No, no! Ferraris are boring.

I like to find cars that, if it were not for my car fanaticism, I would think nothing of. A Ferrari 430 is worth just 2 points in my game, to, say, a Renault Clio Williams' 8 or 9 points. Occasionally, I might point out some of my discoveries to family members or friends. They might say something along the lines of "it's a chavved-up Clio". You couldn't explain to them the amount of fun they're missing out on! Their loss.

I've been playing this game for years, and I've found plenty of wonderful, obscure cars. VW Passat W8s, Renault Avantimes, Lancia Delta Intergrales, Nissan Almera GTIs, and countless imported, not-sold-in-the-UK, cars. And so, as you'd imagine, I've accumilated hundreds of points over the years. But, this one day, all of my previous finds kneel before the magnificance that is the Daihatsu YRV Turbo!


Featuring a 127BHP 1.3 litre petrol powerplant (the most powerful 1.3 litre of it's kind in the UK on it's introduction, don't ya know!), it gets from 0-60 in 8.1 seconds, and can reach 8000rpm when pushed hard.

But all these performance figures are worth nothing to the avid car-spotter. No, what makes this car special is its rarity. Daihatsu had sales targets of 200 per year in the UK, and built it for just 2 years, 2003-2004. I don't know how much they ACTUALLY sold. I couldn't be bothered to count...

The thing is though, I can't be the only one to play this "game". There must be thousands of other car-spotters out there, and thus, I propose we establish a club to bring the whole car-spotting community together. Anybody with me?

Feel free to share your finds down below.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday as I was driving with a Friend, I saw a Phaeton, how many points is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depends which model it was.

    The V6 gets about 7 points, the W12 gets 9 points.

    ReplyDelete