Car Fanatics Blog

Welcome to the Official Blog of Car Fanatics.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Hybrids the future of tuning?

I am quite into tuning and track racing and auto crossing. I can sometimes go on and on about the cars I've seen and or worked on. As I was putting a new Mugen head cover on my friends EG6 (92-95 Civic), his mom pulls into his driveway in her Civic Hybrid and I got to thinking.....maybe this is going to be the inevitable future. After reading so many articles about companys such as Tesla and Fisker, and others making electric or Hybrid sports cars, I have been less and less reluctant to accept that this is something that will happen. I still stick to the somewhat old school way of engine tuning of maxing out your car in NA form before going FI to get the most out of your car power wise. I read in a magazine, either Super Street or Sport Compact Car (Modified Magazine), that a company took a 90's civic and put in a Hybrid powertrain along with a turbo. I forgot what their numbers were exactly but they did what can't be done in a normal car, which is to get good fuel economy with some decent power. I am totally against this form of modification simply because its more electronic than it is mechanical. If there is something wrong with the engine, I can easily (obviously work is required) fix the issue. If there is something wrong with a Hybrid powertrain, as far as I know, you are pretty much screwed. Most Hybrids have CVT transmissions except for the new Honda CR-Z with the manual. The work required to make sure everything meshes perfectly to get the right shift feel for the tranny was quite extensive to say the least. I don't see budget mods happening with these cars anymore. How well can a Injen or K&N or anyother aftermarket filter really help a Hybrid vehicle which will more than likely run on electric mode more often than not? Assume that you have put a turbo on a Hybrid. Someone pulls up next to you in Civic Si next to you and decides to coax you into a launch. The light turns green and you're off! Either you are in electric mode which will not acclerate very quickly or once your engine kicks in at the low RPM, your turbo will have so much lag that it will still take you a lifetime to get your desired speed. In the meantime, your opponent is already pulling into the Friendly's parking lot a mile and a half away feeling highly confident about his "win." Another issue with tuning, and for all the old school guys who tune and race know this, is weight. The weight of the battery, electric motor, and any necessary hardware won't help you much. Take all that weight off and now you have something worth the work. The lighter your car the better the gains. Ferrari is working on a Hybrid supercar and I can't help but think how much better that car would be without the weight. As I have said before, cost can be a huge issue. From the factory, almost every car and not just hybrids, have some of the most picky ECUs that adding an intake or an exhaust will throw CELs or make the car lose power and run worse than it was orgionally. In electric mode the hybrid only has the allotted power given to it by the battery. In order to gain more power you need to upgrade the electric motor and the battery to be able to give the motor the electricty required. Personally, I don't see it as a feasible tune. With the CAFE restrictions tightening their grip around automakers throats, we might see more and more hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. Sooner or later the aftermarket tuners will have to change for these type of cars or they'll go the way of the dinosaurs. Call me old fashioned, but I still prefer B16s K20s, RBs, Rotarys, 302s, Small blocks, crate motors, you name it. Hybrid tuning is one change in this world that I will always shake my head to.

No comments:

Post a Comment